Suspected Bondi Beach Gunmen Acted Alone and Received No Training in the Philippines, Authorities State.

Police officials speaking at a press conference
National law enforcement say there is no evidence the accused Bondi Beach attackers operated as members of a wider terror cell.

The two suspected attackers responsible for the fatal attack at a Jewish gathering on Bondi Beach, that took 15 lives, appear to have acted alone, as stated by Australian police.

Police further stated that the 50-year-old Sajid Akram, and his 24-year-old son Naveed Akram flew to the Philippines on 1 November. Their travel plans included arriving in the main city Manila before traveling onward that same day to Davao City. The duo returned to Sydney on 29 November.

Lack of Proof of Planning During Visit

Investigators indicate the pair did not receive any type of attack-related training or "organizing" during their stay in the Philippines. Early investigations from Philippine authorities indicate they "rarely left" their hotel.

The incident—labeled as Australia's most severe mass shooting since 1996—has been formally classified as a terrorist incident.

"We are currently analyzing the material," she said, noting that initial assessments show that "the alleged offenders are suspected to have been lone actors."

Australian Federal Police Chief Krissy Barrett informed media on Tuesday that surveillance material documenting the accused attackers' whereabouts in the Philippines had been provided to domestic investigators.

"There is little to no indication to suggest these suspects were members of a larger terrorist cell, or were directed by others to execute an incident," Commissioner Barrett said.

Yet, the pair were additionally not in the Philippines for tourism, Commissioner Barrett added. She stressed that, as the probe is continuing, new evidence might come to light.

Motivation and Legal Proceedings

In prior statements, Australian leader Anthony Albanese remarked it appears both accused gunmen were "influenced by the so-called Islamic State" ideology.

During the shooting, Sajid Akram was fatally shot by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—equipped with rifles—are accused of having shot attendees at the Hanukkah celebration.

Naveed Akram, who was injured and taken to hospital after the shooting, has been charged with 59 offences. These comprise 15 counts of murder and one count of committing a act of terrorism. He is due to appear in court in April.

Immigration Information

In the wake following the attack, border authorities in the Philippines indicated that the older suspect had arrived in the country using an foreign passport, while his son used an Australian passport.

The two had stated the metropolis of Davao as their final destination. Their booked return flight to Australia was for Sydney.

Davao is a expansive metropolis on the eastern side of Mindanao, the Philippines' main southern island. It is noted that, Militant groups have been known to be active in impoverished parts of southern and western Mindanao.

Angela Gibson
Angela Gibson

Astrophysicist and space journalist with 15 years of experience covering orbital missions and celestial phenomena.